There are over three hundred streets in St Albans' east end, from major trunk routes to country lanes, closes and avenues.
Almost all are named in Volume 2 of St Albans' Own East End, and an explanation given about the name's origin, or probable origin.
Just a few have not. If you have some information to add, please email us with your comments and suggestions.
You won't find this on a modern street plate; today it is Gainsborough Avenue; but the 1924 map, drawn before development began, has it labelled Wormleighton, after the Warwickshire estate owned by the Spencer family before the Civil War. Much of its manor building was destroyed by fire, and the family acquired and developed the Althorp estate instead.
A house was demolished at the Hatfield Road end of Colney Heath Lane to give access to a small estate of homes, completed in 1973. The road is named after E Michael Gresford Jones, Bishop of St Albans between 1950 and 1970. Note: this corrects the definition given in St Albans' Own East End: Insiders.
A group of roads off Cell Barnes Lane, was built c1976 partly on former allotments, a playing field and the old circus field. In addition twenty-five homes (numbers 53 to 97) built as part of the 1928 Springfield estate, were demolished in 1975. Note: this is in addition to the information given in St Albans' Own East End: Insiders.
Update: St Albans' Own East End: Insiders notes a former field called Chandlers Grove Field. The Chandler family held land to the north-east of St Albans, finally selling their interest near Sandridge in the 1970s. The road between Hazelmere Road and The Ridgeway is named in recognition of this farming family.
William Cavendish, the Sixth Duke of Devonshire, and one-time President of the (Royal) Horticultural Society, developed one of the country's finest orchid collections. The Cavendish estate, begun in the 1880s was a development by Friederick Sander, "the orchid king"
This road celebrated a one-time Master of St Albans School. James Shirley was an established seventeenth century playwright and poet, who lived in St Albans during his association with the school.
In a new development on the south side of Sandpit Lane, opposite Barnacres, a group of four raptors is represented for roads in the residential area. They are:
The link between Gurney Court and Charmouth was established by the land owner and the developing agent. Assuming this to have remained with the Spencer estate until the 1920s the connection with the names chosen was likely to have been with the Spencer family. Allegedly, Charmouth in Devon was a favoured location and the Gurney Court as a favoured hotel there.
This is a frequently repeated account with no alternatives suggested; it is therefore likely to be correct, but I have yet to discover any evidence for this, hence using the term "allegedly".
For further information about Charmouth Road please refer to Gurney Court Road.
In a new development on the north side of Hatfield Road, occupying the former front field of Beaumont School a group of three roads with a literary theme are:
© 2021 St Albans' Own East End Mike Neighbour